Thursday, December 20, 2007

Ask me?

I’m excited to be going home! I’m excited to share my experience with others! But I’m uncertain how I will adjust or respond to my “old” world? I’m uncertain what to say to family and friends when they ask me about the trip, what was your favourite country, what did you like most, what did you like least, how have you changed?

In preparation for your questions I would like to share some thoughts. What I might say in response to “how was your trip?” is to start by saying the trip has been overwhelming – the travel, the places, the people and the experiences. After that it will be difficult to describe what that means.

How can I explain the feeling of floating in crystal blue warm water off the island of Tahiti, basking in the sun and watching small fish swim by? Or sitting in a restaurant with new friends in the old part of Panama City savouring every bit of local cuisine and wine that is bursting with flavour and freshness? Or seeing an amazing sunrise almost every morning while sipping on a coffee and waiting for the breakfast line to open?

How can I describe strolling through a banana farm in Ecuador having conversation with the owner or our mentor? Or explain how I felt sipping a cappuccino at a sidewalk café in Lisbon with new friends from around the world? Or writing a song about TSS (sung to the tune of YMCA) on the train from Beijing to Shanghai with ship colleagues (of course after a few beers)?

Will people really understand how it felt to pull into the various ports at 6:00 am and see things like the Sydney Opera house? Or the sense of awe we felt traversing through the Panama Canal? Or participating in a traditional dance with the Embera tribe? Or cycling through the streets of Auckland in and out of traffic, up and down the hills to viewpoints that are amazing?

If asked “what was your favourite country” it will be difficult to describe all of the “pictures” in my head like the snow covered Great Wall of China, the white sands on the beaches of Greece, Tahiti and Australia, the lush forests of Panama and New Zealand, the neon lights of Shanghai and Beijing, the colors of the traditional dress of the indigenous tribes of Ecuador or the monuments of early explorers from Portugal.

In response to your question “how was your trip” I will continue to explain how the experience has been humbling – the sense of privilege I that I have, how fortunate I am to have been born in Canada, to have the means to make choices, to have the health that allows me to travel, to have access to education that has opened my mind to the world and, and …

I’m humbled by the poverty and inequity in the world and how those that “have not” make the most of what they “have”, each other, laughter and a life full of joy. And those that “have” often lose sight of the simple pleasures of life like relationships and sharing meals and conversation with each other.

I have been humbled by realizing how much I don’t know about the world and the people from around the world. I am humbled by the wisdom and knowledge of the students, faculty and staff that I have had the pleasure of learning with. I am privileged and humbled by the new friendships I have with people from all over the world.

Most importantly when asked “how was your trip” I will tell you the best part of the whole experience is that I did these things with my son, Davis. My head is full of pictures of the two us trying to get the best shot on a beach in New Zealand or standing at the most northern part of New Zealand in awe of the view. Me heart has been touched by hearing about his adventures in the Darien jungle or our discussions about what we have learned and how we’ve changed.

It will be difficult to explain to others the sense of pride I felt while watching Davis assist in a ship-wide photography workshop or perform in a one-act play. Or how inspired I am to see his photographs being displayed or seeing him take on responsibilities with the camera crew.

Of course there were challenges, but without challenge there is not growth. If asked “how was your trip?” I will have to say I was challenged by the diversity, the organizational processes, the inefficiencies, teaching in the ship environment, the unfamiliarity of the ports and myself. I have been challenged by living without my family for four months, by living in a confined space, numerous days at sea and ship life in general. So in response to your question “what was the best part of the trip” I will respond by saying it is these challenges that will provide lasting memories and perhaps have had the greatest impact on my growth.

Have I changed? I am certainly more global in my experience, my perspective. I have been humbled by this life experience. I am closer to my son than I was before as we’ve shared something special together that few will ever get the chance to enjoy. I am more understanding of differences and similarities. I hope I am more patient, accepting and loving. I believe I am a better person for having experienced the world aboard The Scholar Ship!

Thanks for asking! I hope you’ll understand!

Ken

No comments: