Friday, August 31, 2007

Boat Life and Beyond

Our first full day on the boat! Wow, although a bit old (40 years) the boat is not a boat but a ship (or so the argument on board goes). It's cool, it's medium size, it's a cruise ship. Various lounges, three small pools, two cafeterias, several theatres, a small fitness centre and comfortable cabins. You definitely have to be careful with what you eat. There's lots of food and plenty of choice and yes very easy to gain 8 lbs per week. Although are several minor "hiccups" with facilities and such (i.e. there still furnishing facilities and receiving supplies) I'm confident we will be able to set sail on September 5th.
Today we had a full day of orientation (i.e. explaining the components of the program, meeting key people including the ship captain) which included an experiential port program (we were divided into teams and went on a bit of a treasure hunt in Athens). Lots of fun and great to get to know our team members. Davis was our group photographer and the main actor in our 60 second Scholar Ship commercial.
We have 4 more days of orientation and they are full days. No sitting around the pool for us.
Thoughts - very surreal being on the boat - very cool boat - neat people from various parts of the world - great to be experiencing this with Davis - great learning already and it's only been a few days - looking forward to learning and experiencing more - travel can teach us so much - the Scholar Ship has all the components to be an outstanding learning experience (global subject matter, port programs, on-board programs, community, research and extension programs, diversity . . .)! More later . . .
-Ken

So Dad mainly covered everything, but there are a few things I would like to add.
The boat is really awesome. It will obviously take some getting used to, but I can tell it will be super fun.
One thing I am really excited about is that there are 2 photographers/videographers that are really awesome. They seem like cool guys. I talked to them about stuff and they seem like they could use some help. I volunteered myself to be their slave. I am so excited that they are on the ship.
I really find alot of this stuff that the adults talk about interesting. I like hearing their opinions about alot of things. I could see myself following Dad's footsteps somewhat.
Well, I guess that is all for now. Dad covered most of it!
Love you all.
-Dave

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome! Sounds like you two are off to a great start! Wish I was there! Love you and miss you both so much! Keep up the great blogging.....Love Mom

Lana said...

Ken, Hope you are having a Happy Birthday on the high seas!! We will be watching all of your adventures.
Lana

Rudy said...

happy birthday kenwood.hope you are enjoying your new job. give my love to davis. tell him to be good. and if he is on deck do not spit into the wind. love rudy/gramps.

lexi said...

happy birthday DAD! i sent you an email

Davis and Ken said...

Thanks for all the birthday greetings! Although there was no celebration it will certainly be memorable. Ken

Patti said...

My daughter Jill, is on the scholarship and I mentioned that I have been watching the blogs.

Here's her reply when I asked her if she knew who Davis is.

"Davis is a funny kid. I like him. Davis is a genius with computers and such, so whenever we want to watch a movie in the student lounge he sets it up for us on the projector.

We rely on him for everything technical."

Thanks for keeping the blog.. it's nice to be able to get all of the information from a different viewpoint.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I keep coming to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here kdhammer.blogspot.com. Do you pay attention towards your health?. In plain english I must warn you that, you are not serious about your health. Recent Research presents that almost 60% of all United States adults are either fat or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.

Anonymous said...

I love kdhammer.blogspot.com! Here I always find a lot of helpful information for myself. Thanks you for your work.
Webmaster of http://loveepicentre.com and http://movieszone.eu
Best regards