Sunday, September 2, 2007

It's Coming Together!

Everyday, there seems to be something new on the ship. They are constantly adding new things to the ship, and rushing to get ready for our departure. It is quite fascinating! I thought I saw a flying treadmill, but it was on a crane. The classrooms are all coming together too! I sat there and watched a whole classroom be built in an hour.
The shelves are in the library, and I was recruited to help them get ready by removing the shrink wrap, stamping the books, and soon I will help catalog the library on the computers! It is fun!
Last night, some people gathered in the 'Starlight Lounge' for some snacks, drinks, and Jambai drumming! The ship actually bought instruments to bring on the journey, and we just unpacked those last night! A lady named Sherene (who is very nice) knew how to play them very well, so we all got a lesson and are now pros!
Today I sat through a session on the IT (information technology) and learned that the intranet will be up tonight. That connects us all to each other throughout the ship by email, chat, and Moodle, which distributes assignments and such. We also learned that once our 250 internet minutes are used, it will cost us between 17 and 25 dollars an hour. No more 5 hours a day for me. =(
Right now they are trying to track down the printers and photocopy machines. Somehow, they ended up in Spain, so now it will take a while to get them on the ship!
I have been delaying my studies until the students come. It is sort of my excuse to not start school. Who wants to start school when you are in Greece?
Dad and all of the teaching staff are in lessons all day. Some of them I find quite interesting, actually.
Students will arrive in three days, and everyone is rushing to get ready. We are super excited to get underway on the 5th!
Talk to you soon,
-Davis

ps. Look at the amazing sunset tonight. It was surrounded by thunder and lightning, but I wasn't lucky or quick enough to grab a shot of that.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

you are such a big help! Must be fun seeing it all come together. you are doing such a great job at blogging too! Love to you both! Mom XXXXXOOOOO

The Outdoorsman said...

Davis I love your blog. I feel like I am right there listening to you talk. Have fun we will be following your adventure! E R M L S

Matt said...

We're watching your blog for the news and printing it from Grandpa. He's very interested in the news. We had a great day today at Sentinel picnic site and talked quite a bit about your big adventure and what a great experience you are having. -the Calgary Hammers

morstads said...

Lana just helped me get set up. We'll be following up closely. Take care.