Tuesday, September 25, 2007

25-Hour Days!

What do you do with an extra hour almost every day? This is often a question we explore in our leisure studies courses. Crossing the Atlantic has given us the opportunity to “live” this experience (five hours in seven days). So what have I done with this gift?

Enjoyed the sunrises

Coffee with colleagues

Course preparation

Writing for our blog

Reading (e.g. “A day no pigs would die” one of Davis’ English 9 books)

More leisurely workouts in the gym

What has Davis done? I’ll let him answer that. What would you do?

What else is new? Today we finish session 4 in each of our subjects, 16 more to go! Tomorrow is a “free” day or should we say “no obligation” day (ha, ha). There is so much scheduled and so much course work to do that I’m sure we will all find something of value to do. I think I will try and do some reading on the deck. The weather has been quite warm as I’ve heard we are in the “Gulf Stream”. This morning it was 24 degrees at 6:00 am!

We have two guests on board travelling with us from Lisbon to Panama. They have interesting backgrounds and provide unique perspectives to our courses. Dr. Eduardo Gutierrez has served for 33 years with the United Nations. He is currently finalizing a paper on “Human Security in Latin America and the Caribbean”. Dr. James Rieley is an advisor to CEOs and leadership teams in both Europe and the USA. He has experience in business and consulting. I hope to have both of them come into my course on Managing Cultural Diversity in Business.

That’s it for now! On to course preparation!

Ken

Things have settled down now on The Scholar Ship and it seems that things are getting into more of a routinely fashion. I am getting more school work done now that fewer distractions are around me. I have become pretty close with a big group of students. I will definitely get some pictures with all of them and show them to all of you. The media lab is open downstairs. It is like my haven. It has 2 iMac computers loaded with all of the things I need, and they have 2 professional video cameras that I love to use. I am probably going to make a few videos that can go up on YouTube or something so I can give you a ship tour, and show you what it is like on board! Today, I sat outside in the blistering sun for 30 minutes and in that time, I got so dark. I will look out of place coming back into winter months. It is fun playing volleyball and basketball up on the top courts. The food has been amazing. I rarely make it for breakfast since I am getting up at 10:30ish. Oh well. My schedule works productively, so there is no reason for me to get up earlier! It works just fine.

Well, I miss you all and hope to hear from you via e-mail or comments!

-Davis

ps. I think someone should come surprise me and dad in one of the ports. Just a simple suggestion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there K&D
We're following your notes and enjoying them - wishing we were there. I like the idea of joining you in a port somewhere but sadly it doesn't look like it will be possible. It's also great watching the comments - hey Jake - nice to hear from you! We'll be up in Edmonton again this week helping my (Mary's) parents move to their apartment-they are moving into the same place Phil and Florence are in. Marg and Mike met Phil and Florence and thought they were great - it was good that way because up until then they had only seen quiet, old and older people there. Matt's out outdoor ed on a 2 night backpacking trip in the mountains - the skies there look really dark. We hope they are doing well. We're also enjoying Brenda's emails - although it sounds like she is having a far different type of experience. I laugh at your messages, cry at hers. Take care of yourselves. Much love Mary and Sem

Anonymous said...

Hi there K&D
We're following your notes and enjoying them - wishing we were there. I like the idea of joining you in a port somewhere but sadly it doesn't look like it will be possible. It's also great watching the comments - hey Jake - nice to hear from you! We'll be up in Edmonton again this week helping my (Mary's) parents move to their apartment-they are moving into the same place Phil and Florence are in. Marg and Mike met Phil and Florence and thought they were great - it was good that way because up until then they had only seen quiet, old and older people there. Matt's out outdoor ed on a 2 night backpacking trip in the mountains - the skies there look really dark. We hope they are doing well. We're also enjoying Brenda's emails - although it sounds like she is having a far different type of experience. I laugh at your messages, cry at hers. Take care of yourselves. Much love Mary and Sem