Saturday, October 20, 2007

It's not all roses!


I may have given the impression that everyday is filled with wonderful life-changing experiences! Although everyday is filled with wonderful experiences they often come in the form of challenges (or should I say opportunities). A sampling of these challenges (opportunities):

Internet access and speed – it often takes 5-10 minutes to get connected and then several minutes to download an email or an internet resource – fortunately we haven’t been charged to-date (that changes come Monday)

Limited resources – limited library resources, basic classroom supplies, space for gatherings, extension cords, plug-in adapters and so on

Illness – several students have had to be evacuated (3 out of the 4 are back on board) or quarantined – numerous students have come down with a cold (or flu) and seasickness

Theft – in port students and staff have been “robbed” of some of their belongings (e.g. money, camera, I-pod and so on) – onboard students and staff have either misplaced or been “robbed” of some of their belongings (e.g. camera, I-pod, computer and so on)

The unexpected – I often arrive at my classroom on a blue day at 8:00 am (to set-up for my 8:30 class) to find the classroom filled with musical instruments and chairs from the night before – I then find out the extension cords are missing or that the plug-in no longer works – or I find out I can’t print from my computer – or I find out there’s been a change in our AFP schedule

Competing cultures (activities) – three cultures compete for attention on the ship (the on-board life culture, the port programs culture and the academic culture) – to get the students to focus on their classroom education has been challenging partly because their “space” is filled with other wonderful learning opportunities (e.g. social, physical, travel & so on)

Finding space – there are few “spaces” where you can get away on the ship – you can only stay in your room for so long before you have to “get out”

How do I find the “roses” in these challenges? Early mornings are the best time to access the internet (hardly anyone is on at that time) and I seldom use the internet to seek resources. In terms of resources I scrounge and hoard as well as purchase my own extension cord and plug-in adapters (and of course carry them with me). I also make use of the limited library resources (I’ve rediscovered Encyclopaedias) and utilize the “people” expertise on the ship. To avoid illness I stay active, take vitamins and wash my hands frequently. “Luck” has helped me to avoid theft on and off the ship. To deal with the unexpected I come prepared and “roll with the punches”. Competing cultures will take a bit of a “shift” on my part as well as others. I will continue to emphasize learning both in and out of the classroom and will hold the students accountable for their classroom learning. I will also seek ways of creating a more “integrated” culture where there is less competition. To find personal space I get up early when nobody else is around.

If I still can’t find the “roses” I head off to the student centre or staff-lounge for a Scotch or beer (or Scotch and beer)!

Ken

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ken,
Thank you for writing that blog entry! My professors have much to talk about now before they will let me off next semester. What you have raised are legitimate concerns. Thank you! -Emily

Anonymous said...

Hi there
I was thinking of you yesterday as I sent an email address out to Ecuador. I am the Local Interchange Coordinator for a group of Calgary delegates who will (hopefully-if we get enough kids) host a group of Ecuadorian kids in Calgary this summer an then head to Ecuador themselves next summer (2009). Sadly, I won't get to go! But I will be making some contacts by email - who knows?
There is nothing that is all roses. And it sounds on balance that the trip has been great. I read Davis' messages and can almost hear him talking!
Up to Edmonton to move my parents yet again - the second time in the month - and hopefully the last. Uncle Phil dropped in on Mom and Dad - he's sure a positive soul isn't he?
Take care. Mary