Monday, October 29, 2007

Rock’n roll!

We are rocking and rolling in more ways than one! The last few days we’ve had “rough” seas meaning we tend to rock back and forth quite a bit. In our cabins we can watch the ocean disappear and then re-appear through our cabin porthole. The same is true for the sky. In bed (and while we’re sitting) we find ourselves sliding (not too far but nevertheless sliding back and forth). In the halls and on deck no one is able to walk a straight line. Fun to watch! Running on the treadmill poses its own problems.

On board, things have been “rock’n roll’n” in terms of events. A few days ago there was a very successful auction (both live and silent), raising funds for a school program in Africa. A variety of “things” and “people” were auctioned off. Davis raised money through auctioning off a personal photo shoot and then a day-long date with himself including breakfast in bed and carrying books to class. I’ll let Davis tell you more about that.

Also, we recently had a very moving and exciting intercultural night with performances from many of the cultures represented on the ship. Songs, dancing, skits and even a fashion show from around the world. Highlights for me were the dances from Morocco, Ghana, China and India and songs from talented musicians from Australia, USA and Indonesia. And of course seeing Davis modeling in the fashion show (more on that from him).

There’s the usual “rhythm” of the classroom, meetings, meals, movies and more! Tahiti is two days away. Rock on!

Ken

Ferry rides from Vancouver to the island will feel motionless now. Nothing will compare to how rocky the seas are right now. You find yourself falling over and hitting unexpected walls, as well as falling off of your bed if you aren’t paying attention. I have developed an iron stomach. It sure is fun though. It is like being on a ride 24/7.

A few nights ago, students put on a charity auction to raise money for schools and communities in Africa. The turnout was great. We had people auctioning off massages, jewellery, t-shirts, vacation homes, tours of their home cities, dates, etc. People bid unbelievably high! I think having a bar at the venue was definitely a plus. I auctioned off a photo-shoot, and Alfred (the onboard life director) won the heated live bidding with 60$! My first paying job! I still need to talk to him and figure out when he wants his photo session. I also auctioned off being someone’s boyfriend for the day. I was coaxed into it by my friends, so I said, “What the heck, why not?” I ended up being in a heated battle between many wanting people. I eventually sold for 140$ to one of my good friends. She said, “I couldn’t stand seeing all of those other girls wanting you that bad!” It was really funny and we all joked about it for days. Yesterday, I gave her breakfast in bed, carried her books, and walked her to class. It was pretty fun, but I usually hang out with her daily anyways. It was for a good cause though, right?

Two nights ago was Intercultural Night. People displayed their culture in dances, speeches, songs, etc. A fashion show was also displayed at Intercultural Night, and I was in it. It was alright, but sort of dumb that we displayed our own clothes. Nonetheless, people all got quite a kick out of it.

Well, that is what has been recently happening on board. Midterms and important papers and essays are in the air and students are staying up all night powered on Red Bull and espresso shots. It is quite humorous watching them get up the next morning.

-Davis

No comments: